Note: This same article appears in my median.com account as well
Biodiversity is one big term for ecosystems, the diverse species, and their genetic variations of kinds known and unknown. This article explains AI-based techniques which can save biodiversity loss and sustain biodiverse ecosystems and environments.
We can primarily classify ecosystems of three kinds that can be installed in the lands. These are (i) natural biodiverse ecosystems, (ii) artificial biodiverse ecosystems, and (iii) semi-artificial biodiverse ecosystems. These are explained as follows:
1. Natural biodiverse ecosystems are those biodiverse ecosystems that already exist in nature but have been destroyed or are being affected in bad ways by pollution and overuse of dependencies in ecosystems. The dependencies can be flora or fauna or both in the concerned ecosystem. The natural ecosystems need revival and techniques require hard work from plouging land to regrowing plants and even providing artificial water sources to these areas. Bringing in specimens species and making sure they get the right food, water and even the mates.
2. Artificial biodiverse Ecosystem require bots and IOT with AI to help in many things in the ecosystems. These include but are not limited to AI and IOT based water sprinklers, food distribution to the organisms with bots in case there is an imbalance of food and water in the concerned areas. The IOT bots can even maintain real or simulated temperatures and conditions to sustain an artificial ecosystem just like a real ecosystem, even if the ecosystem is not in the domain of that country, for example, cherries and the related ecosystem being made in a warmer place but with artificially fabricated conditions so that cherries thrive in there well. The prize of artificial ecosystems shall be highest among the three ways, this includes cost of learning by AI-IOT managed systems. Once these systems are learned then via transfer learning many more AI-IOT based Ecosystems can be maintained. Hence, it is worth that some such ecosystems are learned and others can share in knowledge.
3. Semi-Artificial biodiverse Ecosystems: These would be lesser prize than the Artificial biodiverse Ecosystems, in which some parts of ecosystems are handled manually by humans and others by machines and AI. Though everything is not automated. These are good things to start with as humans for sure don’t know the intricate relationship between all kinds of species in an Ecosystem. Further, an AI-IOT based system may need a human teacher to teach it for the first kind.
Some species migrate, in that case looking after inter-country habitats and ecosystems ready for the needs of migratory flies, birds, and animals, is essential. Can we provide them with food and other necessities in nearby ecosystems? In case the receiving end is deficient in providing the needs. I think the forest service personnel must provide how much the receiving end can sustain in for migratory process and can bird be directed to new areas of food and mating. These are all research areas to be studied. But the thing is how to do this in lessor time, so the number of researchers needs to be increased to obtain the same result in one year as a single researcher does in 5 years.
In biodiversity using AI, I also have the following suggestions which are doable:
1. AI based Zoo.
2. AI based animal parks.
3. AI-IOT based diverse parks, national park.
4. AI-IOT based national reserves, preserving and proving animals, species and auto-documenting all this.
The lands can be public lands or privately donated lands for a certain period of time. To enhance engagement in biodiversity lands can be donated for the purpose for certain time durations, without changing the ownership. Just like people own solar panels in their homes these days, just like aquariums are kept in many homes these days, in the same way, mini-ecosystems can be installed in some towns. Why land for a certain period of time, this is because many ecosystems shall be artificially tenured in a region when their thrive task is done, and at the same time, the place from which the transfer was made may be made ready for the same ecosystem. Then the land can be given back to owners, and to maintain the systems on their own.